Mount Vernon, Ohio
International Paper (NYSE: IP) is a leading global supplier of renewable fiber-based products. We produce corrugated packaging products that protect and promote goods, and enable worldwide commerce, and pulp for diapers, tissue and other personal care products that promote health and wellness. Headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., we employ approximately 38,000 colleagues globally. We serve customers worldwide, with manufacturing operations in North America, Latin America, North Africa and Europe. Net sales for 2021 were $19.4 billion. In Russia, we have a 50/50 joint venture, Ilim Group, the country’s largest integrated manufacturer of pulp and paper. Additional information can be found by visiting InternationalPaper.com.
The HR Specialist supports managers and employees at the Mount Vernon, OH facility in Human Resource-related areas. This is a non-exempt position that reports to the Site Manager with dotted line reporting to the Human Resources Manager.
- Coordinates selection processes for hourly and salaried positions including posting with and outreach to the Ohio Workforce Development and other organizations; communication with authorized staffing agencies; sourcing, screening, and corresponding with applicants; conducting pre-employment assessments and reference checks; maintenance of all recruiting files. Coordinates orientation and onboarding activities for new hires.
- Maintains the Affirmative Action Planning system, including maintaining annual logs for internal job postings, hires, terminations, separations, and promotions; completion of the annual AAP. Ensure the facility maintains full compliance with all aspects required of a federal contractor.
- Makes presentations to employees and contractors regarding policies and work rules that apply to all individuals who work at our location.
- Maintains the accuracy and security of all HR-related files in accordance with the records retention policy including employee personnel files, medical files, and I-9’s.
- Maintains logs for disciplinary action, training, vacation, etc. Maintains the accuracy of shared files and databases.
- Ensures timely and accurate processing of human resource-related forms; researches and furnishes employee information to authorized persons as appropriate; and handles human resource-related questions.
- Thorough knowledge of local pay practices, pay levels, job groups, and manages the interface with SAP and the plant hourly payroll system. Ensures hourly employees are coded accurately by job classification, jobs performed, shift, and department assignment.
- Completes hourly attendance tracking on a daily basis, initiates disciplinary action when needed, communicates issues, and prepares attendance reports.
- Working knowledge of all benefits for hourly and salaried employees. Assists with open enrollment meetings. Serves as a resource to employees in resolving benefits-related issues and concerns. Supports processes related to FMLA, disabilities, and return to work.
- Processes all unemployment-related claims; participates in any appeal hearings or other activities related to unemployment claims.
- Surfaces employee concerns and improvements; recommends alternatives for resolution of problems as appropriate; acts as a liaison between the individual employee, facility managers, Region Human Resource Manager, and company or community resources in maintaining a highly engaged, union-free work environment.
- May perform additional duties as assigned to support the Finance functions such as accounts receivable/payable, invoicing, order entry, payroll, and related administrative duties in support of plant operations.
- Coordinate facility functions including employee recognition, service awards, safety, and holiday-related events.
- Assists in organizing presentation materials, coordinating meeting and catering arrangements, maintaining bulletin boards, and other assignments as required.
- Minimum of three years generalist administrative human resources experience. College degree in Human Resources or related field highly desirable; PHR certification preferred.
- Working knowledge of federal and state employment laws.
- A high level of diplomacy, tact, and judgment as well as an upbeat and positive attitude.
- Ability to surface issues and handle sensitive and confidential information in an efficient and professional manner.
- Superior organizational skills with a high quality of accuracy and attention to detail in both written and verbal communications.
- Ability to learn new skills quickly, work and be flexible with deadlines, solve problems effectively, and handle multiple priorities.
- Ability to be proactive and self-directed while working professionally in a team environment to resolve issues and meet deadlines.
- Experience with SAP strongly desired. Demonstrated high level of proficiency in Microsoft Windows environment with an emphasis on Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel. Demonstrated ability to learn new software programs or databases quickly.
- Prior work experience in a union, multi-shift manufacturing environment preferred.
International Paper offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, disability, life and accident insurance, vacation as well as a 401(k) plan and retirement savings account.
This is a great opportunity to start a career with a dynamic and proven manufacturer in the packaging industry.
** Now offering $1,000 in sign-on bonuses! **
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.