Insure Your Summer Fun

COLUMBUS — More people in Ohio are outside enjoying activities in the summer than any other time of the year. Just as important as applying sunscreen, Ohioans should financially protect themselves in case of an unfortunate summertime incident, said Ohio Department of Insurance Director Jillian Froment.

“The best way to start the summer is to complete an insurance review,” Froment said. “Call your insurance agent or company to ensure you have the appropriate coverage and amounts. If you are looking for coverage, be sure to shop around.” 

Froment shared this summertime activities insurance review checklist:
Swimming in the pool and jumping on the trampoline 
  • An insurer can deny or cancel coverage for not informing them you have a pool or trampoline.
  • Some insurers might not insure property with a trampoline or swimming pool, or policy exclusions for liability related to injuries may apply.
  • Understand the insurer’s safety measure requirements, such as a fence or locked gate.
  • Know applicable damages and injuries your policy covers. An umbrella policy provides liability coverage above the limits of a homeowners policy.
Catching the breeze on a boat or jet ski 
  • Small boats may be covered by a homeowners policy but coverage for liability risk is limited.
  • A boat of any significant size will be excluded from a homeowners policy for both property and liability coverage.
  • Consider a separate policy that covers physical damage and provides appropriate liability limits.
  • Personal watercrafts, such as jet skis, will likely require a separate policy.
  • Inquire about safety course discounts, permitted operators, and the liability associated with towing.
Hitting the road in your vehicle 
  • Adequately insure your vehicle and carry your insurance card.
  • Familiarize yourself with standard post-accident procedures.
  • If in an accident, exchange names, addresses, and contact and insurance information with those involved. Note the road name and conditions. Take photos of the vehicles and accident scene. Report the incident to your agent or insurer. If the accident is serious call 911.
  • Obtain the accident report.
Taking the motorcycle or scooter for a spin  
  • Motorcycles and scooters aren’t covered by an auto insurance policy, you must secure a separate policy that includes liability and physical damage coverages.
  • If you carry seasonal coverage, check that your policy is in force during the months you intend to operate your motorcycle.
  • Understand Ohio helmet laws. Insurers may also have requirements for helmets.
  • Some insurance companies might offer a discount for safety courses.
Exploring the outdoors with an all-terrain vehicle 
  • All-terrain vehicles (ATVs) aren’t covered by an auto insurance policy, but a homeowners policy may provide liability coverage in certain circumstances.
  • Consider a separate ATV policy to make sure you are properly insured for liability and physical damage coverages.
  • Ask your agent about age restrictions, permitted drivers, discounts for taking safety courses and riding with a helmet.
Consumers with insurance questions can contact the Ohio Department of Insurance at 1-800-686-1526 and visit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *