Shopping for the holidays is part of the excitement and fun of the season. The lights, decorations and festivities help boost our spirits and give us opportunities to celebrate with those we love. One of the most popular traditions of the season, of course, is holiday shopping. Whether you believe the best part is giving or receiving, we can all agree that the holidays are better without slipping, tripping and falling.
STEADY U Ohio, the Ohio Council of Retail Merchants and the Golden Buckeye Program offer these tips to prevent falls as you head out into the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping:
- Shop at off-peak times to avoid crowds and long waits.
- Report slipping hazards, such as spills, loose rugs or mats, and unsafe sidewalks or stairs to store staff immediately.
- Avoid walking around items blocking aisles or displays that block your view of other shoppers and obstacles.
- Ask store staff for help carrying heavy or bulky packages or bags to your vehicle.
- If you use your cane or walker, always shop with it or take advantage of the mobility scooters many stores provide.
- If you fall, even if you’re not hurt, notify store staff and management right away so that they can document the incident and take steps to prevent future accidents.
Visit the Steady U website to find more tips and resources to help your loved ones prevent falls.