LPN – Department of Pain Management
Knox Community Hospital
$2,000 SIGN ON BONUS OFFERED w/ 1 YEAR COMMITMENT
Assists in the delivery of direct/indirect patient care utilizing the nursing process within the environment of the department. Applies critical thinking skills to assure the delivery of safe, quality, age specific care. Documents accurately and in a timely manner. Communicates and collaborates with other healthcare team members. Adheres to organizational policies and procedures; regulatory accrediting body requirements; and professional practice standards.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Current knowledge of the nursing role and scope of practice as defined by the State of Ohio Nurse Practice Act and the Ohio Board of Nursing.
- Current knowledge of American Nurses Association (ANA) Code of Ethics.
- Effective problem solving, decision-making, interpersonal, and teamwork skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Positive customer service skills.
- Basic computer literacy (keyboarding; order entry; word processing).
- Knowledge of and skill in using all instrumentation/ equipment for patient care in a physician’s office.
- Knowledge of and skill in using all instrumentation/equipment in the O.R.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collects data on patient’s condition based upon interview of patient and/or family, physician’s diagnosis and data, diagnostic results, and relevant data from other healthcare providers.
- Collaborate and communicated effectively with team members and other healthcare providers to coordinate the medical and nursing pace of care.
Delivers safe nursing interventions in an organized, efficient, and prioritized manner to address identified needs.
- Contributes to the evaluation of the patient’s response to nursing interventions and patient’s progress to expected outcome(s).
- Collaborates and communicates effectively with team members, physicians, and other healthcare providers to coordinate the medical and nursing plans of care.
- Accepts delegated responsibilities within scope of practice.
- Delegates responsibilities to appropriate personnel, in accordance to the clinical scope of practice.
- Documents all aspects of patient care and maintains patient records and care plans in a timely manner, in accordance to the clinical scope of practice.
- Provides patients and family members with relevant health care education and instructions regarding treatments and procedures.
- Assist in the orientation and training of new and tenured personnel, reassigned student nurses, Patient Care Assistants, and Medical Assistants; serves as a preceptor when requested.
- Demonstrates proficiency in perioperative nursing practice as a scrub nurse in the operating room and outpatient procedure areas, excluding any procedures that involve incisions.
- Provides emotional support for the patient prior to induction.
- Collaborates and communicates effectively with team members in performing a safe operation with optimal outcomes for the patient.
- Assists other team members in set-up, clean up, and turnover of operating rooms.
- Collaborates with other members of the perioperative team in assembling instruments and equipment for surgical cases and ensures it is working properly. Collaborates with team members to create and maintain an aseptic surgical environment.
- Accurately and properly mark all supply items used for each procedure.
- Actively participates in Time Outs.
- Demonstrates proper technique when transporting, moving or positioning the patient on the operating table, while ensuring patient safety.
- Assists with the needs of the surgeon, passes instruments, handles all sharps appropriately and provides sterile items in an efficient manner during all surgical procedures.
- Applies surgical dressings, in accordance to the clinical scope of practice.
- Demonstrates advocacy for the anesthetized surgical/endoscopy patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of disaster/emergency procedures and responds appropriately.
- Labels all medications utilized during procedures according to hospital policy.
- Ensures safe use of equipment during procedures.
- Ensures the volume of noise level is appropriate to provide a calm environment for the patient during their procedure while ensuring that alarms are audible if needed.
- Ensures supplies used in each case are accurately recorded prior to closing the chart.
- Must maintain self-control under stressful situations and workload pressures without exhibiting negative behaviors.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for individual knowledge, skills, performance and behavior in accordance with applicable standards of care and policies and procedures.
- Utilizes measures to promote and maintain patient, visitor and personnel safety.
- Maintains patient, employee, physician, and organization confidentiality; respects the rights, privacy, and property of others.
- Demonstrates the appropriate use of infection control principles and personal protection equipment.
- Supports the mission, values, and vision of the organization.
- Participates and contributes to the comprehensive and coordinated care management through teams based care to all patients. in accordance to the clinical scope of practice.
- Floats to assigned areas as needed.
- Performs tasks that are supportive in nature to the essential functions of the job.
- Participates in staff meetings, educational programs, committees, QI activities and mandatory in-services.
- Participates in maintaining department functions.
- Demonstrates initiative in personal/ professional development.
- Presents a professional image.
- Assists with control of costs through the judicious use of human and material resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an accredited program for nursing education with a current licensure to practice professional nursing in the State of Ohio required.
- Current American Heart Association (AHA) Healthcare Provider CPR (BLS) certification required.
- Two (2) years minimum clinical experience required.
- Previous Surgery, Pediatric, Family Practice or Emergency Department experience preferred.