Registrar, Emergency Services – Patient Access
Knox Community Hosptial
Accurate entry of patient demographic and third party payer information into the hospital information system (HIS) to create a compliant patient medical record and to maximize third party reimbursement for all patient types. Performs bedside registration in a timely manner. Facilitates admitting registration. Independently operate the hospital switchboard, including facilitating all hospital codes, monitors, and alarms. Adheres to organizations policies and procedures; regulatory/accrediting body requirements, and professional practice standards.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Outstanding customer service and telephone communication skills required. Must be able to adjust to rapid change. PC literate with skills in windows, email, and internet navigation. Excellent typing skills required. Must be able to prioritize, problem solve, and multi-task. Must be an independent worker while supporting a team environment. Must be able to perform professionally during high stress and high patient volume times. Schedule flexibility to assist in 24 hour coverage is essential.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Accurate entry of patient demographic and third party payer information into the HIS.
- Accurate entry of patient demographics and testing information into the scheduling system.
- Distinguish patient types and perform accurate registration process for the specific type.
- Timely distribution of patient information.
- Maintain accurate statistical information.
- Facilitate admitting registration.
- Offers resources to patients or their representative in need of financial assistance.
- Screens self-pay patients for the hospital financial program.
- Investigate and resolve all returned mail.
- Independently operates switchboard, facilitating all calls, codes, and alarms.
- Monitors security cameras.
- Collection of co-pays
- Comply with all local and state federal regulations.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for individual knowledge, skills, performance and behavior in accordance with hospital, division and department standards of care and policies and procedures.
- Utilizes measures to promote and maintain patient, visitor and personnel safety.
- Maintains patient, employee, physician and organization confidentiality; respects the rights, privacy and property of others.
- Supports the mission, values and vision of the organization.
- Assists in the orientation and training of new personnel and students.
- Demonstrates knowledge of disaster/emergency procedures and responds appropriately
- Obtain all demographic and third party payer information and generates documentation to provide a seamless, accurate, and compliant patient record and billing process.
- Perform outpatient registration functions evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Assist in other areas within the department as needed.
- Perform tasks that are supportive in nature to the essential functions of the job.
- Participate in staff meetings, educational programs, committees, QI activities and mandatory in-services.
- Demonstrate initiative in personal/ professional development.
- Present a professional image.
- Assist with control of costs through the judicious use of human and material resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Medical terminology and basic ICD9 and CPT coding skills preferred.
- Knowledge of third party payer processes preferred.
- Previous registration experience preferred.