Leave Chocolate Out of Rover’s Celebrations


Holidays and chocolate seem to go together. For birthdays, Valentine’s Day, Halloween, and Christmas – chocolate is everywhere. But, there is one place chocolate should never be and that’s in your dog. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and it can kill them!

Here are the facts:

Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound in the same family as caffeine, and theophylline (an asthma drug). In certain quantities, theobromine is toxic to dogs. In general, the minimum toxic theobromine dose in dogs ranges from 46 to 68 mg/lb. Half the dogs that consume 114 to 228 mg/lb or greater of theobromine will die. Lots of things can play a role in whether your dog will have a toxic reaction including the amount of chocolate your dog ate, your dog’s size, and whether your dog happens to be extra-sensitive to theobromine. One of the most important things in chocolate toxicity is the kind of chocolate your dog ate. Different types of chocolate contain different amounts of theobromine. For instance:

  • Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz. (704 mg theobromine/lb milk chocolate)
  • Semisweet chocolate chips contain 150 mg/oz. (2400 mg theobromine/lb semisweet chocolate)
  • Baking chocolate contains 390 mg/oz. (6240 mg theobromine/lb baking chocolate)

Signs of chocolate toxicity:

Theobromine toxicity can cause a variety of signs ranging from mild to severe. Signs include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Restlessness
  • Hyperactivity
  • Urinating more
  • Muscle spasms
  • Seizures
  • Other neurological signs.

If you think your dog has eaten chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately! Only your vet can determine the proper treatment for your pet.


Information courtesy of the U.S. Food & Drug Administration