Human Resources Director
City of Mount Vernon
To serve under the direction of the Safety Service Director. Performs complex professional work directing all activities of the Human Resources Department including employee relations, salary and benefits administration, workers compensation, health and safety, policy and labor contract interpretation, recruitment, and enforcement of Department of Labor regulations and all applicable laws and policies. To ensure employees receive fair and consistent treatment in conformance with all personnel rules, policies, practices, regulations and laws.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Recommends and develops City-wide policies, regulations and practices related to human resources management.
- Coordinates with Civil Service Department on personnel selection and testing. Facilitates the evaluation, interview, and selection process for all City departments.
- Maintains personnel, disciplinary and health/medical records for all City safety service personnel.
- Participates in all disciplinary matters. Oversees/facilitates disciplinary matters that have potential to result in suspension, demotion, loss of pay or termination.
- Performs investigations within the purview of Human Resources to include disciplinary investigations, harassment investigations and investigations related to employee complaints. Prepares and maintains necessary investigatory documentation.
- Provides human resource support to elected officials’ departments such as Auditor, Treasurer, Law Director and Courts, as requested.
- Oversees and facilitates all bargaining unit related matters. To include facilitation of regular union negotiations.
- Oversees the compliance with federal and state requirements including, but not limited to FMLA, FSLA, ACA, ADA, OSHA and DOL. Functions as the EEO/ADA Officer and investigates all harassment issues, including sexual harassment.
- Oversees the design, development and implementation of the occupational safety and health program. Monitors the activities and claims of the Bureau of Worker’s Compensation. Oversees the drug and alcohol testing and training programs.
- Coordinates and organizes City-wide human resources training including supervisor and manager training, harassment and discrimination prevention training, ADA training and other training as requested by the City departments. Meets with department heads to identify training needs, establish priorities, evaluate available courses or materials to coordinate participation in training and development programs.
- Maintains and updates assigned City documentation such as personnel and policy manuals and position descriptions.
- Ensures that certifications required for certain classifications of employees are obtained and maintained.
- Oversees and coordinates personnel evaluations for all city safety service personnel. Works with elected officials on evaluation programs as requested. Updates City evaluation process as necessary.
- Analyzes compensation policies and practices, governmental regulations and market data pertaining to compensation. Maintains the salary structure for the City.
- Oversees the orientation of new employees and new supervisors. Develops and maintains a standard orientation program for each department.
- Works with the City Auditor on administration of employee benefit programs.
- Investigates and implements opportunities to modernize and streamline the human resources operations of the city.
- Prepares annual budget for Human Resources Department and other reports as requested by Administration.
- Serves as a resource for City departments to protect the City from liability issues relating to personnel processes.
- Participates in executive, organizational, council and public meetings as requested by the Administration.
- Attends conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and audiovisual materials to become and remain current on principles, practices and new developments in the Human Resources profession.
- Develops mission and vision statement, guiding principles and performance metrics for the Human Resources Department.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- 8-hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Mount Vernon, OH 43050: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location