COLUMBUS, OHIO (Mar. 28, 2022) – The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) today announced that the application period for hazardous materials training grants is now open. Through the annual hazardous materials training grant program, educational institutions and local governments across Ohio are awarded grants for training to best respond to incidents related to hazardous materials.
The 2022 grant application period closes on May 31, 2022.
The PUCO offers funding for various types of hazardous materials training, including:
- Courses involving hazardous materials training on various levels, including first response awareness, operations and technician, highway response specialist, incident command and tank car specialist.
- Intermodal hazardous materials training.
- Incident response exercise.
- Rail hazardous materials response training, including rail/highway incident response training.
- Hazardous materials planning and survey studies.
In 2021, the PUCO authorized a total of $800,000 to 12 local governments and educational institutions.
Money for these grants comes from fines paid by hazardous material carriers and shippers. To submit an application, visit the PUCO hazardous materials grant webpage. Questions about hazardous material training and planning grants can be sent to the PUCO at HazMatGrants@puco.ohio.gov.
The PUCO is the regulatory agency responsible for the safe transportation of hazardous materials by rail and commercial motor vehicles within Ohio.