Campus Safety Officer
Job no: 492810
Work type: Non-Exempt Staff
Location: Gambier, OH
Kenyon College is conducting a search for a qualified candidate to fill the position of Campus Safety Officer, Part-Time. Hours worked per week and shifts worked will be dependent on coverage needs, including weekends and possibly holidays. Shifts that may be assigned are 7:00am to 5:00pm; 5:00pm to 1:00am and 11:00pm to 7:00am. The rate of pay is $18.00 per hour. This is a collectively bargained position and without benefits.
Some of the duties and qualifications for this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain knowledge of all types of alarm systems on campus.
- Ability to run short distances in emergencies and to walk several miles during a shift on all types of terrain.
- Ability to stand stationary for long periods of time for parking details, athletic or special events, and emergencies.
- Ability to climb steps.
- Adapt to all temperatures/climates (willing to work in all weather conditions).
- Ability to subdue a person that is a threat to themselves and others, be willing to put yourself in harm’s way for the safety of the campus.
- Basic fire knowledge and ability to deal with all aspects of trauma and medical situations.
- Must be able to carry 30 to 40 pounds of equipment.
- Maintain knowledge of College’s policy, student handbook, vehicle regulations and various other aspects of the College.
- Flexibility and adaptability in any given situation.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Sensitivity to others.
- Awareness of surroundings: being aware of when something is out of the ordinary.
- General understanding of maintenance issues, i.e., whether to call someone in or wait.
- Improve and maintain town-gown relations.
- Must be able to carry a radio, utility belt with flashlight, and keys.
Minimum Requirements: Must be willing to obtain Emergency Medical Responder and Hazmat certifications as the classes become available; good writing and communication skills, computer skills, basic understanding of security and safety principles.
Preferred Qualifications: EMR certified; previous experience in related field.
Kenyon College is an equal opportunity employer and applications from members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. It is the College’s policy to evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical and/or mental disability, age, religion, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy or state, local, or federal law. Kenyon College has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion. Please visit our Diversity at Kenyon website.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled