You will be challenged, supported, and valued for your experience and unique perspective.
Join a team where your hard work pays off in more than just your paycheck and team work is celebrated. As you build your future at Hospice of North Central Ohio (HNCO), you will quickly learn that giving patients an end of life experience on their terms is at the heart of what we do. We are committed to help our patients spend the rest of their days comfortable and free from pain. Supporting the community along with our patients and families has been a part of our culture since 1988.
HNCO is seeking a Medical Billing Specialist who will be responsible for the accurate, timely completion and submission of all the billing, collections, and accounts receivable functions of the organization.
Your Work Hours: 20-24 hours/week; Business Hours: M-F 8am-4:30pm
You will enjoy these benefits!
- Competitive salary
- Retirement savings plan with a generous company match
- Flexible hours for a healthy work/life balance
- Employee Appreciation Events
- Opportunities to serve at community events
What You’ll Do:
- Ensures maximum third-party reimbursement through efficient billing and collections operations, effective accounts receivable management and a thorough understanding of cost reimbursement principles
- Accurately processes and bills Medicare, Medicaid, private payer and patient claims in accordance with payer requirements and organization policy
- Maintains accurate records on all insurance contracts and completes all insurance requirements
- Maintains comprehensive working knowledge of payer contracts and ensures that payers are billed according to contract provisions and obtain new payer contracts as needed
- Maintains comprehensive working knowledge of government billing regulations including Medicare and Medicaid regulations and serves as a resource for appropriate organization personnel
- Monitors aged accounts receivable and resubmits bills to overdue accounts, requests to write-off within reason uncollectable accounts, and prepares bad debt reports for the Director of Finance
- Collaborates with the Director of Finance in successfully reconciling the billing system reports with the general ledger
- Ensures financial record systems are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and in compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations and CHAP accreditation standards
- Performs other duties as assigned
Experience and Education:
- Associate’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance required or equivalent experience.
- Three to five years of progressively responsible accounting experience in a hospice or healthcare environment, preferred
- One to three years of healthcare billing experience required; hospice billing experience, preferred
- Valid Ohio driver’s license with current automobile insurance and reliable transportation accessible for travel while on HNCO business
- Thorough knowledge of basic accounting procedures and principles
- Awareness of business trends
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent math skills
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office products)
- Excellent observation, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Good written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Flexible and able to manage multiple and competing priorities
- Ability to work well in a time-sensitive, fast-paced environment and take appropriate action
- Shows initiative and creativity in completing tasks
- Ability to analyze information and make sound financial decisions in the best interest of Hospice
- Work independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Maintain confidentiality of protected health information and general hospice information in accordance with applicable laws and HNCO policy
- Demonstrate ethical behavior and HNCO core values
For 30+ years, Hospice of North Central Ohio has been a leader in making the final months of life and the grief journey as joyful, comfortable, and meaningful as possible. We are the area’s most comprehensive and experienced resource for expert, compassionate end-of-life support. We are a non-profit, community-oriented organization serving Ashland, Crawford, Huron, Knox, Morrow, and Richland counties.
At Hospice of North Central Ohio, we focus on a Quality, Comfortable End-of-Life Experience
Hospice is about life. It’s about…
- Giving patients the option to have an end-of-life experience on their terms
- Having freedom from pain and spending the rest of their days comfortably, whether in a home or other place of residence
- The opportunity to focus their time on getting ready for their life transition
- Spending precious moments with those closest to them
Holistic Comfort and Support
With Hospice of North Central Ohio, patients and families receive the emotional, spiritual, physical and practical support they need. This includes pain and symptom management, direction, emotional and spiritual support, assurance, and many more targeted services.
Focus on What’s Most Important
Our non-profit hospice recognizes that our purpose is to provide quality end-of-life services rather than focusing on the bottom line. HNCO’s revenue is reinvested into program offerings and services.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Hospice of North Central Ohio is an equal opportunity employer and fully supports and maintains compliance with all state, federal, and local regulations.