Public Safety Communications Technician
Knox County 9-1-1
Knox County 9-1-1 Center is hiring! Please see the posting information below for more details. Interested and qualified applicants should apply by submitting a resume, cover letter and application to Dana Bushong with Knox County Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Title: Public Safety Communications Technician
Department: Knox County 9-1-1
Position Type(s): Part-Time – non-bargaining unit, non-exempt, classified
Typical Work Schedule: Varies
Pay Range: Part-time – $15.00 per hour after successful completion of training
Provides emergency communication services to the citizens of Knox County. Position reports to Dispatch Supervisor.
Must possess or have ability to obtain Emergency Medical Dispatch certification (NAED); must possess or have ability to obtain American Heart Association CPR certification; must possess or have ability to obtain Telecommunicator I certification (APCO, NAED); must possess or have ability to obtain L.E.A.D.S. Basic Operator certification (ODPS); must possess or have ability to obtain NIMS 100, 200, 700 and 800 certifications (FEMA). Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
Must meet and maintain all required licenses and certifications as a continued condition of employment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Under direct supervision of a Dispatch Supervisor, operates two-way radio to receive and transmit messages to appropriate personnel regarding Fire, EMS, and law enforcement to various locations in the Knox County;
- dispatches appropriate personnel to calls for service; maintains contact and provides information to coordinate on-site activities of personnel;
- operates 9-1-1, L.E.A.D.S./N.C.I.C. and/or Telephone Device System for the Deaf to send and receive messages and/or request and receive law enforcement data;
- receives and transmits calls for support services (e.g., hospital notification, wrecker services, utility/maintenance personnel, etc.);
- troubleshoots minor hardware/software glitches/problems;
- collects information regarding crimes, accidents or other emergency situations in progress and relays information to appropriate personnel;
- understands state and local laws and prepares relevant documentation;
- receives and screens emergency telephone calls; provides medical, fire and law enforcement advisement to callers;
- enters and retrieves information into and from computer; receives and understands location based information to assist in dispatch;
- receives and understands GIS, mapping and aerial photographic information; monitors businesses and residential premises burglar and fire alarm systems;
- monitors modern CCTV and video surveillance systems; and reviews, interprets and follows department directives.
- Performs record-keeping functions including preparing and maintaining information of a sensitive or confidential nature; maintains record of communications; keeps logs of daily events; and processes daily reports.
- Assists with the training and development of new employees and/or co-workers*.
- Attend required trainings or organizational meetings as scheduled.
- Assists/greets public (e.g., answers general inquiries, provides general information, and directs public to proper authority) and other associated organizations (e.g. government departments/personnel, public safety departments/personnel, and local businesses/personnel) in person, via telephone, via email, via computerized instant message system, and via computerized intercom system.
- Maintains required licensure and certification in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, Emergency Medical Dispatch, Telecommunications, and Incident Management; attends training as required.
- Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to essential functions.
- Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance, ability to work any shift on any day and ability to work mandatory overtime assignments.
- Is prepared to fulfill the duties of Dispatch Supervisor in his/her absence*
*See position descriptions for more details.