Highway Worker II
Knox County Engineer
Knox County is hiring! Please see the posting information below for more details. Interested and qualified applicants should apply by submitting a resume, cover letter and application to Dana Bushong with Knox County Human Resources by email (email@example.com), mail, or in person. Please mail or drop off to the Human Resources office located at 117 East High Street, Suite 211, Mount Vernon, Ohio 43050.
The deadline to apply is February 19, 2021
To assist with prompt responses and applicant review we ask that you email with any questions. Please no phone calls. Thank you!
Title: Highway Worker II
Department: Engineer’s Office
Position Type(s): Full-time, Non-Exempt, Classified, Bargaining Unit (AFSCME)
Pay Rate/Range: $20.44 per hour
Must possess a valid high school diploma or GED, plus experience in construction or related work or an equivalent combination of training and/or related work experience. Ability to: interpret a variety of instructions, policies and procedures pertaining to work assignments in written, oral, picture, or schedule form and to communicate in common English language; understand and apply general highway construction, repair and maintenance procedures; perform a variety of unskilled to advanced skilled tasks relevant to construction, repair and maintenance of the county roadway system, right-of-ways, and bridges.
Must possess a valid State of Ohio Commercial Driver’s License, Class A, with air brake and must possess a valid State of Ohio Commercial Driver’s License, Class A, with air brake and tanker endorsement.
Essential Job Functions:
- 30% Performs snow plowing activities and spreads sand and/or salt for snow and ice control;
- 30% Performs snow plowing activities and spreads sand and/or salt for snow and ice control utilizing a dump truck;
- 29% Performs patching work on holes in roadways to include preparing hole for cold patch,adding mix and tamping down using shovels, rakes, brooms and rolling with truck tires or asphalt rollers; digging/removing/hauling old hot mix from work site, hauling/dumping/raking/rolling/priming base rock, adding hot mix and rolling with roller;
- 10% Performs hauling activities to include removing dirt from ditch cleaning and/or berming activities;
- 10% Performs landscaping duties such as cutting grass, weeds, roadside foliage and removing trees and brush using equipment such as brush chipper, chain/power saws, tractors with side and rear mowers, and weed-eaters;
- 10% Performs traffic control in the vicinity of job sites with the placement of traffic safety warning/control signs/devices to protect the public and the road crew;
- 05% Perform sweeping activities on roadway intersections utilizing power/hand/brooms and truck;
- 05% Performs preventative maintenance and minor repair to equipment to include but not limited to, checking and maintaining proper fluid levels such as antifreeze, powersteering, hydraulic, lubricating moving parts, checking tires, belts, lights, brakes and general cleaning of vehicles both inside and out, replacing lights;
- 01% Maintains accurate daily reports as they relate to the work assignments and as required.
*See position descriptions for more details.