Wintry weather increases the risk for falls. Take these five steps to “win winter:”
- Dress defensively – Bundle up, but make sure you can move freely. Wear sunglasses to reduce glare.
- Walk wisely – Slow down and allow extra time to get where you’re going. Keep walkways clear.
- Pack power – Carry a baggie of salt, sand, or kitty litter in your pocket or purse for extra traction on icy surfaces.
- Keep connected – Carry a cell phone and designate someone to call for help, if needed.
- Adopt healthy habits – Stay active, drink plenty of water, and do some light stretching before you go out.